Regenerated Cellulose and Cellulose Derivatives
A broad overview of the global dissolving pulp capacities
The course will give the students a broad overview of the global dissolving pulp capacities and the market for cellulose derivatives and regenerated cellulose. The students will get a deep insight into the characteristics of dissolving pulps. The cellulose structure will be discussed in detail and the students will have a good knowledge of this after the course. Process techniques for producing cellulose derivatives will then follow. Process technology for viscose processes and the Lyocell process will be presented including fiber spinning technologies. The course includes lectures, a visit to a viscose manufacturer, group assignments and a written examination.
- Cellulose structures
- Dissolving pulps
- Viscose- and Lyocell processes, fiber spinning
- CMC-chemistry, process and market
- Other cellulose derivatives
- Current development and research
Visit to a viscose manufacturer
After the course, the participants should be able to
- discuss important cellulose derivative and viscose technology aspects in an correct terminology,
- relate the results of measured parameters to different product quality aspects,
- describe the most important processes for manufacturing of regenerated cellulose and cellulose derivatives
- demonstrate an understanding of the pros and cons of regenerated cellulose and cellulose derivatives compared with other materials.
November 4 – 8, 2019
LOCATION: Karlstad University
LAST DAY TO REGISTER: October 13 2019.
Pre-requisites: It is desirable that the participant has a good knowledge in cellulose technology, cellulose chemistry and basic chemistry equivalent to a Master level for engineering programs
Contributors: Lecturers from national and international universities/companies
Literature/course material:Reprints from journals and dissertations, handouts etc
Examination: Assignments and a written examination
Contact persons/Course co-ordinators:
Helena Håkansson, email@example.com