An introduction to packaging and packaging materials – What is packaging and why is it used?
Packaging will be presented and discussed from the performance perspective, in certain applications with a focus on food stuffs, including product safety (especially materials and barriers perspective), economics (systems perspective), communications and marketing, logistics, design and sustainability. Materials used in packaging, and some of the converting processes, will be covered, such as glass, metals, polymers and fiber based packaging, but with an emphasis on the two latter.
Study visits to a packaging production and a materials recovery plant are planned.
The general purpose of the course is for the participants to acquire a systems oriented perspective of the use and handling of package materials, including the materials choice, design, processing, service life and recycling. Having completed the course, the participant should …
- Demonstrate knowledge of in which context packages are used and which functions they perform in these uses, whit emphasis on food packaging.
- Demonstrate knowledge about the materials, in particular, and their properties that are of importance to the packaging performance with emphasize on the service life.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the production processes used to produce packages and filling of packages.
- Demonstrate knowledge about processes used to handle packages for materials or energy recycling and life cycle consideration, including legal, economical, materials and energy, used to assess the fate of packages.
- Be able to describe driving forces and systems perspective for packaging development, with emphasis on food packaging.
- Be able to independently identify critical and decisive materials, productions and recycling issues for packaging solutions performance and to suggest solutions, with emphasis on food packaging.
June 10 – 13, 2019
LOCATION: Karlstad University, Karlstad, Sweden
LAST DAY TO REGISTER: May 31, 2019
Pre-requisites: As doctoral student participant: Enlisted as doctoral student in a science or engineering field, preferably related to forest industry.
Other participants (if ETCS credits are to given upon passing exam): M.Sc. exam (or equivalent) in science or engineering field.
Contributors: Lecturers from Karlstad university, Örebro University, KTH, RISE, and contributors from Industry.
Literature/Course material: Handouts for lectures, provided at the start of the course.
Examination: Written (home exam), including a written essay. Examination is graded Pass or Fail.
Course fee: The course is free of charge for PhD-students listed at Swedish universities; other PhD-students are entitled to a reduced course fee. Industrial participants are welcome to take the course as commissioned education; the course fee is then SEK 21.300 (excl. VAT).
Participation on single days is possible to a fee of SEK 8.000. Please contact email@example.com
Contact person/Course co-ordinator: Prof. Magnus Lestelius, firstname.lastname@example.org
Other: this course was previously given by FPIRC (course 33). Registration is done trough FPIRC.
Practical details: Accommondation and travel
Several hotels are available under the Coordinated framework agreement handled by the National Procurement Services of Sweden and are listed below. All listed hotels are located in the city center of Karlstad and can be reached by foot from the train station. From the city square (ticket vending machine available), public buss transport (Karlstadsbuss Line 1, http://karlstad.se/karlstadsbuss/) can take you to the University in about 10 minutes fairly frequently.
Best Western Hotel Savoy, Västra Torggatan 1A, Karlstad
Clarion Collection Hotel Bilan, Karlbergsgatan 3, Karlstad
Ibis Styles Karlstad, Västra Torggatan 20, Karlstad
Elite Stadshotellet Karlstad, Kungsgatan 22, Box 317, Karlstad
Clarion Collection Hotel Drott, Järnvägsgatan 1, Karlstad
Scandic Winn Karlstad, Norra Strandgatan 9-11, Box 6107, Karlstad
Clarion Hotel Plaza, Västra Torggatan 2, Karlstad
Scandic Karlstad City, Drottninggatan 4, Karlstad